Time: 1 hour
Dietary Info: Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free
It has recently occurred to me that I do not experiment enough with meat substitutes. So, I decided to make this baked tofu stir fry. As far as meat alternatives go, tofu is really not my favorite thing in the world ….but if its prepared just right it can be pretty damn yummy! When it comes to tofu, the firmer the better so I use extra firm tofu. I baked it for about 30 minutes in order to release most of the moisture. Note: if you are short on time, you can drain the tofu the night before and allow it to marinate overnight. You can serve this recipe over rice but I think this stir fry is delicious on its own! I made this recipe with broccoli, carrots and bell peppers but you can certainly mix it up by using your own variety of veggies!
For the sesame ginger sauce:
1/4 cup sesame oil
1/4 cup Gluten-Free soy sauce
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon water
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
1 inch piece of ginger, minced
1 large clove garlic, minced
For everything else:
1 12 oz. package of extra-firm tofu
1 small crown of broccoli, cut into florets
1 large green bell pepper, chopped
3 large carrots, peeled and julienned
1 teaspoon sesame seeds, for garnish
1 tablespoon scallions, sliced for garnish
1. Slice tofu block in half and lay both halves on a flat surface, covering with a cloth. Place a large cast iron skillet or a stack of books on top of the tofu. Allow tofu to drain for 15 minutes. While tofu is draining, whisk together all ingredients for the stir fry sauce.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place drained tofu in a large bowl or roasting pan and pour half the stir fry sauce overtop. Allow tofu to marinade for about 15 minutes, flipping once.
3. Slice tofu into rectangles, about 1/2 inch thick. Place sliced tofu on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, turning tofu halfway through. While tofu is baking, prepare veggies.
4. In a large skillet (or wok), add about 2 tablespoons of stir fry sauce. On medium heat, add veggies and stir frequently. Gradually add the rest of the stir fry sauce. Cook for a total of 5-7 minutes so that vegetables don’t get soggy.
5. Serve baked tofu overtop veggies and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds. Enjoy!